Thursday, January 3, 2013

Preparations and Expectations

Hi Everyone!
As many of you know, this spring semester I will be studying abroad in Ghana. I will be attending class at the University of Ghana located in Legon, which is a suburb of the capital city Accra. As the day of  my departure (January 17th) draws closer, reality is setting in and I've been busy gathering my stuff together and trying to figure out how I'm going to pack my life into 2 suitcases. However, even as I'm preparing to leave, I'm still having a difficult time conceptualizing the fact that I'm going to be living in an entirely different country for 5 months. I think I'll finally realize it after I get on the plane or once I arrive in Ghana.

University of Ghana
So far, my preparations have included gathering documents and forms, immunizations, online orientations, and many other activities that will hopefully help make for a smooth transition. While in Ghana, I hope to study international development and global health, which will add to my degree in International Studies. I'm also planning on participating in an internship with a local NGO or non-profit, and I will find out more details about this upon my arrival in Ghana. I will be living, not in a grass hut as some of you may have been thinking, but in the international student dormitories, which are equipped with electricity and internet. Although, shortages and lack of access are more common in Ghana. As I've been preparing, I have learned a lot about the countless opportunities that this university and country has to offer and I am very excited to experience everything.
Before I leave, I thought it would be a good idea to come up with five goals for my time abroad, so here they are:
1. To experience everything the country has to offer.
2. To learn a lot and grow as an individual
3. To be open to the challenges that come with my location and situation
4. To make new friends
5. To take advantage of my time abroad and fully immerse myself in the culture and community
Overall, I can't wait for this experience to begin and see what it holds in store for me. I will be using this blog as a way to record my experiences and update my family and friends on what I'm doing. I will only have a cell phone that makes calls, so I will not be able to text. Please feel free to email, Skype, call, or Facebook me, I'd love to hear from you! Also, once I have my address, I'd love to receive some snail mail! :) Just message me for my address. Now, it is time for last-minute preparations and goodbyes (not looking forward to) and I'll leave you with this link to Anthony Bourdain's episode in Ghana. This is what I watched once I decided I wanted to go to Ghana, and it was one of the many things that I've seen or heard that has increased my excitement for this trip. Please subscribe or check back here often!
Much love,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment