Sunday, February 3, 2013

Beginning to explore Ghana

Another week has gone by and I've experienced even more Ghanaian culture. One great example of experiencing this culture has been this "first week of classes." I had one class the whole week. It started off on Monday morning, I thought I might have a morning class and I still had to check some course lists, because some classes weren't even up yet. (classic Ghana) But, after seeing that one class that I wanted was going to be offered, I didn't need to go to the one I had planned as a back-up. I did have Twi that afternoon, but I'm not counting this as class, because I already took first semester Twi at Madison, last fall. In fact, I don't have to take Twi at all this semester, which now leaves more room for other classes. For lunch Monday, and really everyday of the week, we went to Coffee Cue, a little outdoor cafe on campus. There, you can get really great iced mango or peach tea, and these great chocolate pancakes or spicy noodles. It's probably one of my favorite places on campus.
Tuesday, followed pretty much the same. After spending the morning in IPO (CIEE office) I had my history of western medicine in Ghana class scheduled for later that afternoon. I got there early and sat in one of the hugest lecture halls ever for about 30 minutes until the other small group of students and I decided to leave because no professor showed. By now, I had figured that the first week of classes really is more like a week of registration, because it's actually when all the Ghanaian students finally arrive on campus and start looking at their classes.

With my new bag at the art Market in Accra
Wednesday, I didn't have any classes scheduled, , so me and some friends decided to take a trotro down to Osu which is in downtown Accra. It’s kind of like the night club district but it also has great restaurants and shopping. I also got to visit the Ghanaian branch of Global Mamas, which is an organization that I have been interested in even before I came to Ghana. To say our experience in Osu was overwhelming is an understatement. Being white really attracts a lot of attention so the whole time we were walking around we kept getting shouted at to come look at or buy things and some vendors even grabbed at you. They’ll shout “oburoni oburoni!” which literally means white person, but not in a offensive way. As mentioned before it was really overwhelming and slightly frustrating, but an experience all the same. Overall, Osu was cool, but it  takes a backbone to be able to walk through it unfazed.
Thursday morning, I got to go to the poli sci class that I’m really looking forward to (Issues in Africa’s International Relations) and it was actually being held. Granted, we only went over the syllabus, but it still felt really good to finally be in a classroom setting again. The class sounds really interesting and I’m excited to hear about some of these issues from an African perspective. Another plus, the only assignment is the final at the end of the semester.
Friday, I didn’t have class again so we decided to take a trotro down to downtown Accra to Makola market. It was packed. Everything was so crowded and busy, but I did end up getting a small bag, which was great. An interesting thing about these markets is that the vendors sell a lot of the same things because most things are imported. We experienced the same grabbing and yelling for our attention, but I’m beginning to master the walking through the crowds without giving my attention to the calls. I’m excited to go back to the market because there are a lot of great fabrics there and I want to get some to craft with!! That night there was a party at some night club for all the new students (read international, non Ghanaian). It was really fun, but the drinks were a little sketchy and tasted horrid. Besides that, I had a great time dancing and experiencing Ghanaian nightlife.

At Jerry's
Saturday was pretty low key, we watched the Ghanaian soccer team play in the quarter finals at our favorite local bar. THEY WON!! Then after we came back to really just hang out and plan more of our semester trips. We also got invited to a wedding for next weekend, which should be a completely awesome experience because Ghanaian weddings are supposed to be the coolest!
Sunday/Today, we decided to get away from the hustle of the city and go hiking at a nature reserve that’s about an hour away from Accra. We figured out the trotro system there without any glitches, just witnessed a confrontation between locals at the station downtown. When we got to Shai Hills Reserve we were immediately greeted by a pack of baboons that were hanging out by the entrance to the park. We spent about 2 hours hiking to an overlook, and it was awesome. Just like backpacking in the bighorns, except not many switchbacks, mostly just vertical climbing. The last part, we had to literally rock climb through a cave but the view was spectacular and totally worth it. The ride back, wasn’t quite as smooth as the ride there. We somehow managed to somewhat hitchhike our way halfway back and then get on a trotro the rest of the way. It cost us way less than the way there, but took about 3 hours and we were exhausted by the time we returned.
Almost at the top of one of the hills at the Shai Hills Reserve
Tomorrow, school actually starts, but I don’t have class. My schedule rocks! I only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then I’m saving my Mondays and Wednesdays open for my internship. My final classes are two poli sci ones; that international relations one and then one called Human Rights in Africa. Then I have the History of Western Medicine in Ghana and then a public health one titled Socioeconomic dimensions of International Health. They all sound awesome and I’m really excited for them to start.
I’ll try and post more about my impressions and the food in my next post! Miss you all and hope that cold weather isn’t too overwhelming! J
Love,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment