Thursday, February 21, 2013

Daily life and some weekend adventures

Hey everyone, sorry I meant to post this on Tuesday...
Life in Ghana has been great for the past two weeks! More going to classes,working at my internship, and every day I feel more comfortable living here. The rest of last week was pretty normal and I spent another day successfully getting to and from my internship site. This last weekend we decided to spend Friday going to Boti Falls and then Saturday, we traveled with my whole program to the eastern region. Friday was probably our longest trotro ride we’ve taken, and unfortunately I did fall victim to car sickness due to the winding mountain roads and the incredible speed that trotros seem to go. Typical of me, but I am pretty proud of myself that I lasted this long without getting sick. When we finally got to the falls, we learned that since it was the dry season, there wasn’t any water. Completely dried up falls, but the view was still pretty cool. Saturday we woke up really early to be bused to the eastern region. There, we visited a cocoa farm and I got to sample some raw cocoa right from the pod. We then went to the botanical gardens and got to tour it and enjoy a fantastic free buffet for lunch. Needless to say, I took full advantage of all that food. Before heading back to the hotel, we stopped at the wood carving village and I got some neat jewelry. Sunday, I spent time catching up on reading and studying for my test on history of western medicine for Tuesday. Monday, I spent time at my internship and studied more and then Tuesday I took my first test here. I would say it went rather well, considering it was answering one essay question and it was open notes/open books. I also went to my lecture on Human Rights in Africa, and I can really tell that I’m going to enjoy that class. Tuesday/today, I went to my internship and I’m happy to say that I finally caught a trotro for the first part of the ride. This has been one of the most difficult aspects of my internship because of the traffic and the fact that there never seems to be room in a trotro going to 37th station. But finally today, an empty trotro pulled up and I managed to get a ride. This being said, I did arrive at my site a little early, but I’m still really happy I did it. For those of you who may still be confused as to what a trotro is, here is a link to site that gives a painfully accurate description of this wondrous method of transportation. I also forgot to mention, but Monday, I also got to pick up a pencil skirt that I had made by a local seamstress and I liked it so much, I’m having her make me another. I also got one of the dresses another seamstress made me and it also rocks, I promise I'll post pictures soon! This weekend I will be traveling Wli falls and a monkey sanctuary and looking forward to celebrating one of my friend’s 21st birthday! Hope everyone is doing well back home!
Love,
Audrey  

1 comment:

  1. Ghana safari tours


    Welcome to Voyageback travel agency, Get the best Tanzania tourism packages. We offer the best travel service to Ghana safari tours in December 2019. Contact us – 18007910313


    https://voyageback.com/

    ReplyDelete