Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Beach Weekend

Hi everyone!
This past week and weekend have brought even more adventures in Ghana. I can't believe I've been here for almost 2 months! Time is flying and I'm loving every second. This past week I've done most of the same things like going to class and my internship. I've had more success with the trotros, but they are still full of surprises. This past weekend my friends and I traveled five hours to Busua beach. The traveling there went really smoothly and we got there on Friday at about 2pm. After finally getting dropped off by a taxi in a small beach town, we found the resort/inn that a friend had recommended. It was breathtaking. Right on the beach, with little huts for people to stay in, and a bar/restaurant that served some of the best chips (fries) I've had here in Ghana. After settling in, we got some drinks at the bar and spent the last part of the day on the beach. The water and waves were amazing and we were so happy to be there. That night we found a place to eat in town and I had some great Redred (beans with sauce). We then spent the night on the beach looking at the stars and drinking some Don Simon.



View from our hut.
Saturday, some of my friends went to a surfing lesson, while me and the rest of the group went to find pancakes/something for breakfast. I ended up having some french toast, which was delicious, although I miss not having syrup. We then went back to watch the surfing and get ready for a full day at the beach. Most of the day was spent swimming, tanning, walking the beach, and reading. Around midday we went into town to find lunch, where we met a guy named Jerry. He said he had food at his bar, so we followed. He ended up being quite the character and the "food" was more of reheated rice and beans from the night before. Not the best. But we weren't discouraged, so we went back to the beach to enjoy the rest of the day. Dinner, we went back to the place from the night before, and I had an interesting variation of oatmeal. The rest of the night we, again, spent watching the stars on the beach.
Sunday morning we got up to go to the highly recommended pancake place, and I had a chocolate banana pancake, which was pretty delicious. We then spent a couple more hours at the beach before boarding a trotro for the long way back home.
So far, from our weekend travels it has been interesting to see how different Ghana's regions are from each other. Each place we go has something different to offer. We also are realizing how comfortable we are getting here. I'm starting to refer to the dorms as home, and when we get back sunday nights, I can't wait to get an egg sandwich or Sarah's chicken in the night market. Overall, a really relaxing weekend and a great time. This next weekend we'll be traveling to the Ashanti region with CIEE! Hope everything is well back home! Sorry about all that snow, can't say that I miss it :)
Love,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment